The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) grants teacher/school licenses in the State of Illinois. All students who complete an approved program at Illinois State University, pass appropriate licensure exams, and meet ISBE requirements will be entitled by ISU within their ISBE-ELIS account. When entitled you will be notified by the Registrars office (undergraduates) or Teacher Education Center (Graduate licensure programs). You should not apply for licensure until after you have been notified by ISU that your licensure entitlement is complete. (This will be after the conclusion of your final semester). As a reminder, all exams must also be linked directly to your ISBE-ELIS account. You should confirm this by logging into your account. If you have questions about your ISBE-ELIS account you can review resources here: ISBE – ELIS account.
Click your category below to expand for licensure information (all school support, administration and graduate certificate programs are under Graduate/advanced licensure)
To obtain your initial teaching licensure, you must complete an approved teacher education program and be entitled by ISU. The following gives details on this process:
1. Your degree/program must be confirmed by the Registrar's office, which commonly occurs 1-2 weeks after grades are officially posted.
2. Once your degree is confirmed, all ISBE licensure requirements will be reviewed for completion. If all items are complete, you will be entitled for licensure within your ISBE ELIS account. You will then receive an e-mail from the Registrar's office verifying you are able to apply within ELIS for licensure. This e-mail commonly occurs 2-4 weeks after grades are officially posted.
3. Please see the ISBE training video for assistance with applying for your license.
4. As you apply, be sure to register your license in your application with the Regional Office of Education (ROE) of the county in which you are planning to teach. If you do not have a teaching position, you must register with your local ROE.
5. Order an official transcript from Illinois State after your degree is posted to be sent to Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). Transcripts from any other institution from which you have received credit should also be ordered. When ordering an ISU Transcript, please follow the directions on the clearinghouse transcript page for how to send properly to ISBE.
These degree/certificate programs would be at the post baccalaureate level and in academic programs that lead to ISBE licensure. The licensure steps below are in addition to any processes that may be required by the Graduate School and individual departments.
Order an official transcript from Illinois State after your degree is posted to be sent to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). Transcripts from any other institution from which you have received credit should also be ordered. When ordering an ISU Transcript, please follow the directions on the clearinghouse transcript page for how to send properly to ISBE.
If applying for the Principal, Superintendent, or Chief School Business Official endorsements, request an official letter on school stationary from your district superintendent or human resources office that indicates the following:
Specific dates of assignment indicating part or full-time
Specific kind(s) of assignment: teacher and/or administrative
District administrator's signature
|Licensure Officer - Cecilia J. Lauby Teacher Education Center
Campus Box 5440
Normal, IL 61790-5440
If you have any questions, please e-mail TeacherEdCenter@ilstu.edu.