The Elementary Education program in the School of Teaching and Learning prepares candidates to teach reading, writing, science, mathematics, life skills, critical thinking skills, and problem solving strategies to elementary school students, from first through sixth grade. Diverse coursework includes content in psychology, special education, and curriculum and instruction in addition to clinical field experiences and student teaching.
- Technology skills embedded directly into methods courses.
- A job market currently experiencing a shortage of teachers
- Diversity training in every course.
- Multiple clinical experiences (more than 400 hours, including teacher institutes and parent-teacher conferences).
- A variety of available student teaching options.
- Superior performance by ISU graduates on state licensure tests.
- A high degree of professional readiness and satisfaction, as reported by our graduates and their supervisors.
- There is an option to add bilingual and/or ESL endorsements to this program.