Elementary Education: Bilingual and Bicultural Sequence
The Bilingual/Bicultural Sequence in the School of Teaching and Learning focuses on the Spanish language and Hispanic cultures, preparing future teachers to teach in bilingual elementary classrooms from first through sixth grade. Graduates often have a minor in Spanish or ESL endorsement.
100% hiring record for teacher candidates who seek employment as bilingual teachers after graduation.
- A job market currently experiencing a shortage of teachers
- Technology skills embedded directly into methods courses.
- Diversity training in every course.
- Multiple clinical experiences (more than 300 hours, including teacher institutes and parent-teacher conferences).
- Required year-long Professional Development School (PDS) internship in a bilingual classroom in Chicago, Elgin, Palatine, or Wheeling.
- Available study abroad program, during which students live with families while taking Spanish language courses and observing in local schools.
- A high degree of professional readiness and satisfaction, as reported by our graduates and their supervisors.